last updated by Dave 1 week ago
3 voices
3 replies
  • Creator
    Topic
    Dave
    Participant
      @gayotteruk

Recently I chatted with someone here in the Chat feature, which was great fun – nice feature.

However since then my Chat panel always shows a red number 1 notification as if I have an active unread chat. But my chat panel says I have no open chats and I can’t see where the one chat is. The issue persists across browser restart and clearing all browser state. I can provide browser version details if it will help.

It’s a pity because I get excited to see the red and then I remember it’s this weird quirk. It’s only a minor issue, not stopping me using the site, it’s just a bit disappointing when I think I have a new chat but it isn’t.

If there’s some way to fix that, it would be great. Thanks!

• Author
      Replies
        Dave
        Participant
          @gayotteruk

I’ve used the chat a bit more now and what I think is happening is this:

• Once I have chatted with someone, that chat counts forever towards the red badge count of chats
          • If the person I’m chatting to goes offline then the chat disappears from the Chats tab of the chat panel
          • If they come back online and message me again, that one chat reappears in my Chats tab but the other chats stay hidden
          • I don’t know if them being online is enough for the chat to reappear or whether they need to also send a new message, not sure

What would make more sense to me is if the red counter only counted chats that have at least one unread message, and if any chat with at least one unread is visible in Chats even if the other person is offline.

I don’t know if this helps but maybe it narrows down where the quirk is.

Alex
          Participant
            @cabbage

I’m having the same issue.

I received an email notification that someone messaged me on chat but there is nothing there.

The chat bar indicates that I should have 4 notifications.

Attachments:
            Henry
            Keymaster
              @enrico

I have to check this.

1 user thanked author for this post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Support Chat always shows red notification

Chat
          Loading the chat ...